I’ve covered Hoverboards, Self-Balancing scooters, Glideways, etc etc etc on and off at Economy Class and Beyond a few times – and how airlines are refusing to carry them.
Sadly, even the rich and famous are unable understand this as Russell Crowe tried to fly Virgin Australia… and offloading his children and himself from the flight after finding out hoverboards weren’t allowed on board.
Leave them at home. Don’t take one on a plane. Source (via CC) www.soarboards.com
Let’s go over this once again.
- Most hoverboards use Lithium Ion battery packs – which start heading over the 160watt hour limits.
- IATA has restricted the carriage of Li-Ion Battery packs which IATA members are adhering to. Most of time its simple:
- If it’s got Li-Ion product inside it, it needs to go in hand baggage
- Some sealed items can go into the hold
- If it’s got a lot of Li-Ion product, it must be checked as dangerous cargo.
- A lot of airlines have simplified it a lot further
- Any product with a Li-ion battery needs to go in hand luggage only
- Anything with Li-ion will not be acceptable as hold luggage (on my recent USA trip, it was a question at every check in).
Heck, IATA have a lovely little poster at http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/dgr/Documents/LithiumBattery_PassengerFlyer.jpg
- Even the FAA declares them as hazardous materials at https://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/hazmat_safety/more_info/?hazmat=7
A lot airlines have out-right banned them being carried including:
- Aer Lingus
- Air Canada
- Air France
- American Airlines
- British Airways
- Cathay Pacific
- Delta Air Lines
- Qatar Airways
- United Airlines
- Virgin Atlantic
- Virgin America
- Virgin Australia
So if your name is Russell Crowe, or indeed you’re wanting to take your Hoverboard on a plane, here’s a simple piece of advice:
LEAVE YOUR HOVERBOARD AT HOME!
(besides, you’ll look like a fool when you fall off it).
Welcome to Economy Class and Beyond – Your no-nonsense guide to network news, honest reviews, with in-depth coverage, unique research as well as the humour and madness as I only know how to deliver.