EDITED: Status match commenced!
It’s a quick reminder from GhettoIFE towers for of you who are BMI Gold or Silver… the great BA Status Match begins NOW at http:/www.ba.com/tiermatch.
Details of the mechanism of how and where to do it have been revealed revealed, and I suggest it would be a good idea to create yourself a British Airways Executive Club account if you can.
Now there are a few caveats that you need to be aware of:
- BMI Diamond Club Status Miles do not transfer over to BA Status.
- Yes, we’re all back to square one sadly. 1500 TP or bust!
- As Miles from Blighty points out, if you’re a BA Silver/Gold already, the transition will zero any Tier Points you have, so you have to weight up the loss of your Tier points over 12 months of status
- Diamond Club Members in certain territories (such as Australia) will have a whole heap of trouble as they cannot join the BA Executive Club due to geographic issues that BA don’t get into.
There are also a few unknowns too…
- Where to get the match?
- When is optimal to do the match?
- If you do the match later on (lets say July), do you get the full 12 months of the match?
Hopefully, there will be some answers to this tomorrow.
Those of you with BMI Destination Miles, this is a not so subtle reminder that your time to use these miles within Star Alliance is ebbing away every day. As a reminder:
- You will continue to earn membership status miles and earn and spend destinations miles on BMI and Star Alliance carriers (excluding Lufthansa Group airlines) until 31 May 2012
- For all Star Alliance carriers you will also be able to take advantage of your BMI and Star Alliance status benefits, including lounge access, priority check-in and priority boarding until 31 May 2012
- From 1 June 2012 any benefits associated with your tier membership and the ability to earn status miles and earn and spend destinations miles on Star Alliance airlines will end
- Star Alliance award bookings made before 31 May 2012 will be honoured
Diamond Club Destination Miles to Avios conversions do not begin until 3rd July – so it is approaching the “use it or loose it” stage for those who want to take advantage of some of the better Star Alliance redemptions around .
If you’re new to the BA Programme (like me), it could be worth investing some time at the Ultimate BA Guide on Flyertalk. Diamond Club members who are still equally confused, head to the Questions from BD transferees about BA Executive Club and Avios discussion on Flyertalk.
GhettoIFE.com will be doing some of my own write-ups over the next few weeks (as well as post warnings for those who forget to use their miles… like myself)