The recent launch of the “Millennial” railcard (or more properly known as the 26-30 Railcard) has been… a shambles of royal proportions, with the website crashing and no more cards being offered for now.
Virgin Trains are have stepped in to help, with an offer you probably can refuse, but you’ll need to 1) book at a booking office and 2) bring an Avocado.
Didn’t bag a Millennial Railcard? Have no fear! Simply present an avocado in place of your railcard when booking your ticket and you’ll be entitled to the same fantastic 1/3 off discount for one week only. Full details here: https://t.co/7Dp48RWzgp 🥑 #Avocard #railcard pic.twitter.com/NLhPfbD2yp
— Virgin Trains (@VirginTrains) March 13, 2018
So to get 1/3 off on certain rail fares, here’s the terms and conditions:
- Valid Virgin Trains West Coast routes and discounts on that route only – so parts of the journey are entitled to the discount (so if travelling Manchester Piccadilly-Brighton, only the Manchester-London Euston part is entitled to the discount)
- Instead of presenting an official railcard when buying a ticket, you will instead just need to present an avocado to get the same discount
- Photo ID to prove age required as well
- Retail ticket office-bought tickets only (not available at ticket vending machines or online)
- You can ticket until 20th March 2018.
It’s another clever bit of Virgin Trains marketing – except queuing at their ticket offices can be one of the soul-crushing experiences in the world (says he who has been stuck at the Birmingham New Street ticket office more than a few times waiting for someone to sell him a regional travel ticket).
What happens to the avocado (be it becomes property of Virgin, or you can take it onwards to make Avocado Toast), has not been explained.
It’s a useful discount if you’re aged 26-30. But less of the avocados please…
If you’re outside the age bands, Virgin Trains currently have a £5 and upward ticket sale on at the moment too – which might be more useful at https://www.virgintrains.co.uk/sale
Welcome to Economy Class and Beyond – Your no-nonsense guide to network news, honest reviews, with in-depth coverage, unique research as well as the humour and madness as I only know how to deliver.