It’s not all gold and glitz on Emirates – and news coming out that weight restrictions on checked luggage are starting on tickets booked on or after the 4th February.
For routes that operate by weight
The main changes are in the Economy Cain where the value fares (Special and Saver) take a 5kg cut.
- Special is now restricted to 15kg (from 20kg)
- Saver is now restricted to 25kg (from 30kg).
For those on Flex or FlexPlus tickets or in Business and First Class seats – the allowances remain the same as they were. You can check as many items as you need, however – they must fit into the weight assigned to your ticket and must be under 32Kg a bag.
For routes that operate by pieces of luggage, two sets of rules apply.
- Baggage allowances to and from the Americas and flights originating in Africa (except flights within the Americas and between US and Europe):
- Special fares will get one piece of luggage up to 23kg
- All other fares (Saver, Flex, FlexPlus, Business and First) will get two pieces of luggage up to 23kg)
- Baggage allowance for flights within the Americas and between US and Europe:
- Special and Saver fares will get one piece of luggage up to 23kg
- All other fares (Flex, FlexPlus, Business and First) will get two pieces of luggage up to 23kg)
The full details are at https://www.emirates.com/uk/english/before-you-fly/baggage/checked-baggage.aspx
Always check the fare you book
Whilst not as bad as “basic”/ “light” fares which seem to be the rage in Europe and Americas (which tends to dispose of the checked baggage element of travel, it does represent a change for consumers – especially those at the price-sensitive ends of the market (where Saver and Special fares tend to be brought).
It’s a case sadly of “Buyer beware”, and if you buy the wrong Emirates fare – you could wind up paying more for luggage than you did for your ticket. If you want to avoid these changes, you need to ticket before the 4th February 2019.
And the last thing anyone wants to be is an unintentional star on Ultimate Airport Dubai when you’re at the check-in desks, and your luggage is over weight…
Welcome to Economy Class and Beyond – Your no-nonsense guide to network news, honest reviews, with in-depth coverage, unique research as well as the humour and madness as I only know how to deliver.