It seems the saga of Hong Kong Airlines continues apace, with the airline pulling back from further international destinations.
On the chopping board this time are:
- Vancouver (its last North American destination) from 12th February on the HX080/081 pair
- Ho Chi Minh City from 19/20th February on the HX538/HX539 pair
- Tianjin from 9/10th February om the HX362/HX363 pair
The airline blames the changes on
“the challenging business environment caused by the ongoing social unrest in Hong Kong.”
The airline has put in alternative arrangements for passengers affected including
- A full refund for those travel on or after the service ends
- A free change to travel within service operating dates
- Free Change to any other Hong Kong Airlines route (subject to tax and fees difference)
- Free transfer to other partner carriers to be arranged by Hong Kong Airlines
Further details at https://www.hongkongairlines.com/en_HK/special_news/detail?id=10005575080
It seems that meting bills is a bigger problem for the airline, with the airline having issues paying its employees on time (with cabin crew and oversees staff paid, other staff due to be paid in December). In addition, the airline faces having a crunch meeting with the Hong Kong Air Transport Licensing Authority – which could result in having their operating licence stripped or forced to go under a restructure to allow for its survival.
As to any statement by Hong Kong Airlines, it simply says “Hong Kong Airlines will continue to monitor the situation closely and adjust our operation to respond to changing market demand.”
If you are planning to travel with Hong Kong Airlines – services, as they are now, are operating as timetabled.
However, if you have future travel plans with the airline in the medium-term, please ensure you have adequate travel insurance.
In case the worst does happen.
Welcome to Economy Class and Beyond – Your no-nonsense guide to network news, honest reviews, with in-depth coverage, unique research as well as the humour and madness as I only know how to deliver.