As BMI is taken over by IAG and becomes part of British Airways, here’s a list of dates that are important:
As of now:
- Diamond Club members can earn on BA Flights and vice versa.
- BMI has formally exited from the Star Alliance
- Diamond Club Members can access BA lounges at LHR and LGW
Big upcoming dates
- 1st May – Diamond Club to BA Executive Club status matching begins
- 31st May – Final Star Alliance matters need to be tied up. That includes: Any Earning, Any Redemptions and any access to Star Alliance facilities through the member airlines (except on Lufthansa family airlines – that flight has long since departed)
- 1st June – It’s BA and BMI sitting in a tree.. K-I-S-S-I-N-G. By that point I’d hope you’d matched any status over to preserve lounge access privileges. Note that BMI will not have a Oneworld badge on it at that tim.
- 3rd July – Diamond Club Destination Miles to Avios transfers begin. You’ll not this excludes ANY status miles transferred to BA Tier Points
- End of Summer Time Table: Major changes begin, with who knows what to come.
The big question of when to do the status match is important. And it’s going to be very personal as for some of you who will be switching to Executive Club for the first time will be governed by when your next flight is, and how many Tier Points you’ll need/want.
My plans.. are a lot more muddier sadly mainly due to my excessive cargo carrying habits and my love of lounge hopping. I’ll be writing on how this change is going to impact me a bit later on….