Welcome to Economy Class and Beyond on Boarding Area!
I’m your host – Kevin – and I’m here to guide you through the maze of modern travel, and hopefully add some insightful comments and humour – along with a sarcastic twist on the side.
Economy Class and Beyond is an evolution of GhettoIFE (the five-year-old for-runner of this blog), and I’m dedicated to bringing you a slightly different view of aviation news, mileage, network intelligence and much more besides.
As we have matured into a new name and a new style of writing, things will change. However, Economy Class and Beyond will focus on different things compared to some of the blogs on Boarding Area. As such, I won’t write much about points and miles compared to my fellow writers. However, the subjects I will cover:
- Passenger Intelligence – I’ll give you the information you need when planning a journey. I’ll write about new routes and network changes, the introduction of new aircraft, aircraft changes and things you wouldn’t think about – to help you make a better decision when redeeming your miles and points
- Passenger Experience – I talk about this a lot in the Trip Reports. But I’ll also be examining the things that make a flight bearable or pleasurable… and the things that can make a flight feel like an 8-hour trip from hell as we connect with the Passenger Experience Industry – be they seating providers, Inflight Connectivity, overhead bin manufacturers, inflight equipment and more.
- More European/UK-focused news – There is such a limited amount of UK/European Aviation news (and trying to make sense of it can be a pain). I will aim to collect, examine and pass it on.
- More Rail Coverage – As we consider the sustainability of aviation, rail travel is stepping up in some ways to help. We’re here to keep an eye on the rail networks
- Trip Reports – When I go swanning off to explore the world.
- Airplane Art – Yes it’s my photography love-fest of aeroplanes All clean for work. Published every Sunday.
Economy Class and Beyond is updated twice or three times a day depending on what’s going on in the world when I’m at my base, and a lot less frequently when I’m away travelling.
All the posts have a slightly twisted and humorous bent. We have implemented some rather tighter comment moderation policies (with some posts heavily controlled). Please feel free to drop your thoughts in when the comments are open.
What you won’t see:
- Award Booking Services – There are plenty of great providers out there
- Concierge Services – Again, some great providers can help you on your trip
- Credit Card Referrals and offers – Others are covering this field a lot better than I. It also goes against what I try to do
- Niceness when an Airline messes up – because, in every mess-up, there’s a lesson to be learned.
My Ethics, Legal Notes and Etcetera are published and can be found at http://economyclassandbeyond.boardingarea.com/2009/05/21/links-and-legal-notes/. This includes my handling of referral links and how certain referrals are treated.
I’m an IT/Systems Administrator by trade based in Birmingham, United Kingdom. I’m a semi-frequent flyer, with at least two commutes to Chicago a year. Beyond that, I have a habit to find different places to go, and if I choose to go, I’ll write about it here – the fact that I’ll hunt down those miles is beside the point entirely…
I write occasionally for other sites, and you’ll see me popping up on Runway Girl as well as a few other sites.
I’m also a Semi-Professional Photographer with my work listed at:
- Photoblog – www.photoblog.com/kevincm is where a lot of my travel photography ends up. Some of my more artistic work also is there too as well as, Architecture and Social Commentary… or any other reason to get a camera out.
- My Professional- specialising in Alternative Fashion and other slightly more mature things.
You can contact me on Twitter ( @EconomyBeyond ), through the comment boxes on almost every post or via my inbox at firstname.lastname@example.org (but there’s still no chance of seeing me on FaceBook. I have a few limits luckily for you all!)
Welcome to Economy Class and Beyond – Your no-nonsense guide to network news, honest reviews, featuring in-depth coverage, unique research, as well as the humour and madness I only know how to deliver.
Also remember that we are part of the BoardingArea community, bringing you the latest frequent flyer news from around the world.