Welcome to Economy Class and Beyond on Boarding Area!
I’m your host – Kevin – and I’ll be here to guide you through the maze of modern travel, and hopefully add some insightful comment and humour – along with a sarcastic twist on the side.
Your host in the left hand seat of an American Airlines MD-80.
Economy Class and Beyond is an evolution of GhettoIFE (the five year old for-runner of this blog), and I’m dedicated to bring you a slightly different view of aviation news, mileage, network intelligence and much more besides.
As we mature into a new name and a new style of writing, things will change. However, Economy Class and Beyond will focus on different things compared to some of the blogs on Boarding Area. As such, I won’t write much about points and miles. However, subjects I will cover:
- Passenger Intelligence – I’ll give you the information you need when planning a journey. I’ll write about new routes and network changes, the introduction of new aircraft, aircraft changes and things you wouldn’t think about – to help you make a better decision when redeeming your miles and points
- Passenger Experience – I talk about this a lot in the Trip Reports. But I’ll be also be examining the things that make a flight bearable or pleasurable… and the things that can make a flight feel like an 8 hour trip from hell.
- More European/UK focused news – There is such a limited amount of UK/European Aviation news (and trying to make sense of it can be a pain). I’ll will aim to collect, examine and pass it on.
- Major UK Rail news headlines – Rail is an important
- Commercial Aviation News and Routes – Commercial aviation news in a bite size ripped to bits segments.
- Hot Topics – During major groundings, or major aviation issues in the UK and Europe, Economy Class and Beyond will cover it.
- Trip Reports – When I actually go swanning off to explore the world.
- Airplane Art/Airplane p0rn – Yes it’s my photography love-fest of air planes All clean for work. Published every Sunday.
Economy Class and Beyond is updated twice or three times a day depending on what’s going on in the world, when I’m at my base, and a lot less frequently when I’m away travelling.
All the posts have a slightly twisted and humours bent, and of course comments are open. Please feel free to drop your thoughts in.
What you won’t see:
- Award Booking Services – There are plenty of great providers out there
- Concierge Services – Again, there are some great providers who can help you on your trip
- Niceness when an Airline messes up – because in every mess-up, there’s a lesson to be learned.
My Ethics, Legal Notes and Etcetera are published and can be found at http://economyclassandbeyond.boardingarea.com/2009/05/21/links-and-legal-notes/. This includes my handling of referral links and how certain referrals are treated.
I’m a IT/Systems Administrator by trade based in Birmingham, United Kingdom. I’m a semi frequent flyer, with at least two commutes to Chicago a year. Beyond that I have a habit to find different places to go, and if I choose to go, I’ll write about it here – the fact that I’ll hunt down those miles is besides the point entirely…
I write occasionally for other sites, and you’ll see me popping up on Runway Girl as well as a few other sites.
I’m also a Semi-Professional Photographer with my work listed at:
- Photoblog – www.photoblog.com/kevincm is where a lot of my travel photography ends up. Some of my more artistic work also is there too as well as, Architecture and Social Commentary… or any other reason to get a camera out.
- My Professional- specialising in Alternative Fashion and other slightly more mature things.
You can contact me on Twitter ( @EconomyBeyond ), through the comment boxes on almost every post or via my inbox at firstname.lastname@example.org (but there’s still no chance of seeing me at FaceBook. I have a few limits luckily for you all!)