For those of you looking for GhettoIFE.com – this is the same location. We’ve had a re-brand into something a little more sensible, but don’t worry – the madness still remains. But for historical purposes, a big question I’m never asked is What is GhettoIFE?
IFE (In-Flight Entertainment) is in so many words something to keep you occupied when you’re trapped in a small seat crossing distances far and wide.
IFE Systems are very common amongst long haul airlines, and forms of IFE exist short haul aircraft across the world (well.. except in Short Haul in Europe it seems where the only thing you get is a seat to sit in – and that’s if you’ve been good).
There are variations of IFE (sometimes depending on where you sit on the plane sometimes). Here’s a few of them:
- PTV with AVOD ((Personal TV – Audio/Visual On-Demand)
- PTV Rolling Screen – There are various channels to select
- LiveTV – Live TV Broadcast sent to your seat-back screen via Satellite
- Small screens – Lots of little screens dotted in the cabin
- Big Screen – One big screen in the centre of the cabin
- Audio Only
Let’s looking at some examples:
PTV (Personal TV) with AVOD (Audio/Visual On-Demand)
ANA Boeing 787 (Business Class – Panasonic EX2 with a feed from an Apple iPhone)
Continental Airlines Boeing 777-200 (Economy Class – Panasonic EX2)
A bad example of AVOD – US Airways Airbus A330 (Economy – Rockwell system)
PTV’s with Rolling Screens
Small Screen Overhead
So these are great – except what if there is nothing to watch… or even worse, you’re on a flight and suddenly realise there is no IFE or after browsing through the sections a very poor IFE?
My Solution is very simple: Build your own system! (What? I’m a geek. I’m allowed to think of a technical solution to anything…)
Now if you’re going to do this make sure:
- You switch on your portable electronic device when you’re allowed to
- Make sure you have spare sickbags (if you’re nauseous in the air)
- Make sure you don’t rip the bag too much so that your precious media device ends up on the floor and
- Prepare be laughed at – or watch people copying you…
So – How to create a GhettoIFE system:
- Place device in your sickbag.
- Rip hole in bag where the centre of the screen is.
- Pull out the hole, tearing off bits of the sickbag paper until the screen is fully exposed
- Rip a hole in side so you can plug your headset in
- Mount onto seat back by folding back the top of the sickbag so it can be squeezed between the top of the table in the stowed position
- Enjoy your entertainment
And you get of these….
Of course you could watch it in your hand or lap, but there is a lot of strain doing that. Why strain when you do thing slightly less elegantly? Simples!