Today marks the 150th Anniversary of the first Underground service in London, operating between Bishop’s Road and Farringdon Street by the Metropolitan Railway.
Tube 150 Banner – Transport for London
That link (which operates still today as part of the Circle Line, Hammersmith and City Line and the Metropolitan Line – as Paddington (Bishops Road), Edgware Road, Baker Street, Portland Road (now Great Portland Street), Gower Street (now Euston Square), King’s Cross (now King’s Cross St. Pancras) and Farringdon Street (now Farringdon)., was the forerunner of the Underground network that exists today in London.
There are some great sites about the Underground – from Transport for London’s site that has all the commercial bits, to the London Transport Museum (that shows a lot of a history of the Underground and a major what’s on), to sites like 150 Great Things About the Underground which shows some things you might not notice on your travels, to the Guardian’s facts and figures
Even the Royal Mail has got in on the act, offering up some stamps to celebrate 150 years of the tube.
And as I’m sleep deprived when I wrote the beginnings of this and in a reasonable mood today, I’m offering a copy of the First Day Cover that Royal Mail have published.
Image – Royal Mail
To be in with a chance of winning a copy, I’m after your funniest public transit experience. All stories are of course welcome.
You’ve got until SUNDAY 13th JANUARY, 12:00GMT to enter in this post only.
Standard GhettoIFE rules apply:
- Entries close Sunday 13th January 12:00GMT Entries received after that point won’t get included!
- Open worldwide, providing Royal Mail can deliver (which is a challenge it itself some days)
- One entry per person – a valid email address is required.
- Winner will be drawn by random.org
- 1 winner will win a copy of the Royal Mail First Day Cover, mailed directly to their address.
- The winner will be required to submit their name, address and country so the First Day Cover can be posted to them
- Everyone else will get a giggle out your stories
- Oh yes, “clean journey” only (I do reserve the right to moderate if you’ve lost anything naughty. Of course post that sort of thing, and that entry is disqualified)
- My decision is final. So there.