So during the weekend there was a big hoopla over an incident that lead to the emergency slides being delpoyed at Phoenix AZ before take off.
Picture from BBC News (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8145686.stm)
But what happened exactly? Lets look at the events from a point by point.
- Aircraft was a 747, Registration: G-CIVB
- Flight BA288 Started taxing
- Smoke and accird smell reported in cabin
- Aircraft proceed back to ramp, delaying evacuation
- Crew kept control of the incident –
- Slides deployed, 298 passengers and crew safe – and aircraft evacuated.
Well the first thing that’s important to say is that everyone made it out of it with little the worse for wear. The second this is that the standard operating procedure was followed.
Perhaps the idiotic thing is the need of some passengers to take their belongs with them. Alas, candidates for Darwin awards I think.
Well done to the crew for evacuating people safely. Now we wait to find out if someone had put something in the APU or not to set off the smoke…