EVA Air formally joins Star Alliance as of today.
The airline operates to 60 airports in the world from it’s bases at Taipei, and add Kaohsiung in Taiwan and Surabaya in Indonesia.
Those of you with Avianca LifeMiles and who are miffed about them being devalued might be able to extract some value from them as redemption space is now open on EVA Air flights (Canadian Kilometres has the skinny at http://boardingarea.com/canadiankilometers/2013/06/17/award-alert-eva-air-space-with-lifemiles/). Expect other Star Alliance members to open up space as time goes on. Similarly, EVA Air’s Infinity MileageLands will now have Star Alliance levels with some rather snazzy cards:
Rather snazzy eh?
- Green: Nothing
- Silver = Star Alliance Silver
- 30,000 miles on 6 or more international flights or on 26 or more EVA Air/UNI Air international flights
- Gold = Star Alliance Gold
- 50,000 miles or more on international flights or travelled on 50 or more EVA Air/UNI Air international flights From Silver
- Diamond = Star Alliance Gold
- 120,000 miles or more on international flights or travelled on 100 or more EVA Air/UNI Air international flights from Gold
You’ll also need to have flown Any qualified EVA/UNI Air international flight mileage or sectors and any Star Alliance flight mileage within 12 months period during the current valid membership period to upgrade your membership tier.
Of course, apart from being green and orange, EVA Air has a mascot that will either make you grin like a 5 year old on sugar, or groan like a parent who needs a good night sleep – Hello Kitty
It’s another option to earn or redeem miles on, and that’s always a good thing in my book.