It seems Avios is throwing a bit of a sale online. The first day is a 2-day sale, with 50% off Avios redemption to the following cities:
– Boston from 20,000 Avios (normally 40,000)
– Denver from 25,000 Avios (normally 50,000)
– Shanghai from 30,000 Avios (normally 60,000)
– New York from 20,000 Avios (normally 40,000)
– Chicago from 20,000 Avios (normally 40,000)
– Toronto from 20,000 Avios (normally 40,000)
– Dubai from 20,000 Avios (normally 40,000)
– Washington DC from 20,000 Avios (normally 40,000)
Now, here’s the kicker – this is in WORLD TRAVELLER ONLY, for London departures only.
Capacity as usual is controlled.
Bookings must be made between 12.00pm 06/01/14 GMT and 11.59am 08/01/14 GMT for travel completed by 31/05/14.
Of course, you’re also liable for all the taxes, fuel surcharges, fees. Which is rather important on an Economy Class ticket, as this can make up the bulk of the fare.
Or in numbers terms: Economy class taxes make up about £350 between Heathrow and JFK. Considering that a sale fare is starting at £429, your 20k of Avios is buying a £79 ticket.
Not great value, unless you need a flexible ticket (in which case, the value proposition soars, but this is limited to available redemption space – which isn’t that large to start with).
Not one to rush out and book, but one to consider carefully, depending on your needs….
British Airways are matching this sale too, with the same conditions and classes as a “12 Days of Thank You” sale – you’ll need to head to http://www.britishairways.com/travel/executive-club-offers/public/en_gb?lb= and filled the links
There are other sales coming online – Head For Points has the low-down on them, and I’ll be covering them as I can….