I’ve been chatting with Pizza In Motion who runs the NowBoarding Podcast.
Earlier last week Ed asked about some of my experiences and thoughts when it comes to travel and this blog – Economy Class and Beyond. You can head below and listen to Ed and myself chewing the fat at https://nowboarding.boardingarea.com/economy-class-beyond-kevin-marshall-nb-018/
And for those who want – it’s playing below:
For those who want some show notes to this NowBoarding Podcast – here are the notes I wrote at 35,000ft on the way to Chicago.
How long have I had the travel bug?
Since I was very young. My father used to work at sea, so going long-haul to visit him was a matter of fact, rather than a nicety. In my teens, I covered a lot of Europe on coach tours. My 20’s.. not so much – the joy of buying a home, settling down a bit.
In My 30s – my travel exploded with friends in distant lands and me getting the miles and points bug – but also wanting to know about the industry a little more
I started blogging in… 2008 at GhettoIFE – mainly as a response to putting phones in sick bags to provide IFE on a plane where the systems on board were … god awful.
I joined Boarding area in 2011, and switched over to the Economy Class and Beyond in 2014.
I used to use FlyerTalk to write my trips reports on. There was a trip in 2008 where I had to go to the USA, and I wanted more control.
From that, I grew the blog out. I wanted to share points, passenger experience points and passenger intelligence points to people who need to find it in an easier to digest format than some out there.
The focus of the blog changed over time and one of the things a blogger does is finding their own voice – and leaving behind some of the inspiration that caused them to set up a blog in the first place.
In some ways, I’ve drifted away from miles and points (as there are others who cover the market better than I can in the UK), and instead, I’ve chosen to go down a different line
These days I concentrate chat about on the blog
- – Passenger Intelligence – I want to give the passenger the knowledge which routes to use and what the equipment to expect on it
- – Passenger Experience – the whole shebang on the plane and off it.
- – Airline Interiors and seating – I’ve started learning a lot more about seating products and understanding what drive an airline to selecting a product and how it affects the passenger experience.
My travel style
… is mostly personal. I blog, I do IT related things for a living, working for the UK NHS as a technical engineer supporting the systems that support Doctors and Nurses to do their job.
I do a tiny bit of business travel – but its more limited than not.
Quick-Fire Questions and Answers
- Coolest Destination: Got to be Tokyo.
- Favourite Credit Card: I’m going to be honest – I don’t have a points bearing card at the moment. The UK market is limited, and I have a beef with AMEX still 😉
- Airline: Two
- Star Alliance Asiana.
- OneWorld: Finnair. See. I didn’t say Qatar Airways like a lot of oneworld flyers would say 😉
- Hotel Chain: Divided.
- HG for the point earning opportunity,
- Hyatt for the beds in the Regencies
- Bucket list: Vietnam!
There’s a lot more covered in the Podcast – so please give it a listen.
And if you want me on your podcast, give me message 🙂
Welcome to Economy Class and Beyond – Your no-nonsense guide to network news, honest reviews, with in-depth coverage, unique research as well as the humour and madness as I only know how to deliver.