Swiss International Air Lines is planning an expansion of services out of its Geneva hub with the airline adding five new destinations
The Summer increases will operate on different periods, with Brindisi, Faro, Mykonos, Alicante and Ibiza
- Brindisi: Operates between 23 June and 25 October, operating on Fridays and Sundays, with an additional flight on Mondays from 24 June to the 26 August
- Faro: Operates between 22 June to 24 October, three times a week
- Mykonos: Operates between 22 June and 31 August, SWISS will offer two weekly flights to the Greek island of Mykonos on Thursdays and Saturdays.
- Alicante: Operates between 23 June to 30 August, three flights a week on Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays.
- Ibiza: Operates between 25 June until 30 August,on Tuesdays and Fridays, from 2 September to 25 October, on Mondays and Fridays.
The Geneva base uses the Airbus A220 (nee Bombardier CSeries CS100 and CS300) exclusively – so these routes will use Airbus A220 aircraft. Geneva uses six A220-300 and two A220-100. Swiss estimates about twenty cabin jobs will be created to support these services.
Swiss configure their Airbus A220 aircraft with 2-3 seating by ZIM Flugsitz operated in a Eurobusiness and Economy Class configuration.
Flexibility remains key for Swiss
With the Airbus A220 family proving its flexibility to Swiss in the roles it can be used for, seeing the fleet spread its wings further is always away from the traditional routes. Whist these routes are seasonal, it does give an indication of the flexibility of the type (for example, airBaltic operates the A220 on a mission between Riga and Abu Dhabi). With the routes the type can fly, the A220 can suit many missions – even summer trips like this.
Editors note: I still type Bombarider CSeries 100/300 when writing about this type still… I suspect I will for some time to come…
Welcome to Economy Class and Beyond – Your no-nonsense guide to network news, honest reviews, with in-depth coverage, unique research as well as the humour and madness as I only know how to deliver.