It seems even the might Air Asia is being hit hard by Covid-19/Coronavirus/Human Malware, with the airline grounding the majority of its fleet.
Or what the airline likes to call “hibernating”.
It will impact across the entire Air Asia and Air Asia X Families. In summary:
Short Haul Operations
- Air Asia Malaysia – All services suspended from 28th March to 21st April
- Air Asia Philippines – All services suspended from 20th March to 14th April
- Air Asia Thailand – International services suspended between 22nd March and 25th April, Domestic operations continuing with reduced capacity
- Air Asia Indonesia – Significantly reduced international operations, reduced domestic operations
- Air Asia India – All routes suspended from 25th March for 21 days
Long Haul Operations
- Air Asia X Malaysia – Most flights suspended from 28th March to 31st May 2020
- Air Asia X Thailand – All flights were suspended on the 16th March for three months, with a planned resumption between Bangkok and Seoul on the 16th April
The airline will continue to evaluate the situation closely and are prepared to reinstate their services as soon as the situation improves, subject to the necessary regulatory approvals.
For affected passengers, they will be contacted should have been contacted via email or SMS. They have the option of converting their flight booking into a credit account that is valid for future redemption for 365 days or moving their flights for an unlimited number of times without any charges to another date before 31 Oct 2020.
In the meantime, Air Asia’s logistics platform Teleport will remain operational, with Teleport utilising passenger aircraft to transport medical aid and protective equipment intended for hospitals and frontline emergency responders at selected destinations.
AirAsia Group Berhad stated
We believe this temporary fleet hibernation is the right thing to do to ensure the well-being of our guests and employees, which will remain as the top priority of our business during this challenging time.
AirAsia Group will remain committed to assisting the relevant government authorities to support the repatriation of travellers and shipment of goods.
Welcome to Economy Class and Beyond – Your no-nonsense guide to network news, honest reviews, with in-depth coverage, unique research as well as the humour and madness as I only know how to deliver.