Well, here we go again, with the UK Red List Changes coming into effect.
As you all are aware, Nigeria joins the red list. The full Red List at the time of this change going live includes:
- Angola – https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/angola
- Botswana – https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/botswana
- Eswatini – https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/eswatini
- Malawi – https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/malawi
- Mozambique – https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/mozambique
- Namibia – https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/namibia
- Nigeria – https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/nigeria
- South Africa – https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/south-africa
- Zambia – https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/zambia
- Zimbabwe – https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/zimbabwe
Both Virgin Atlantic and British Airways have active routes to Lagos from London Heathrow. Connecting option via other European hubs exisit.
Red List Restrictions
If you have been in a country or territory on the red list in the 10 days before you arrive in England, you will only be allowed to enter the United Kingdom if you either are a British or Irish National or have residence rights in the UK.
Before you travel, you must ensure you’ve completed the following
- Take a COVID-19 test – this must be done 3 days before departure (if arriving Monday), 48 hours before departure (if arriving from Tuesday)
- book a quarantine hotel package, including 2 COVID-19 tests
- complete a passenger locator form
These requirements exist for both fully vaccinated and unvaccinated travellers.
Upon arrival in England, you must quarantine in a managed hotel, and take 2 COVID-19 tests. This applies to all passengers.
Hotel capacity issues
It’s worth highlighting that there have been capacity issues at quarantine managed facilities, to the point there are no rooms available. It’s important to note that if you are travelling from a Red List Country to the UK, this must be booked in advance.
Travellers should not attempt to travel to the UK from a red list country without a Managed Quarantine Service booking, as they will not be able to board a flight and could be subject to a fixed penalty notice at the UK border.
Her Majesty’s Government advice is to keep checking the site, as cancellations are appearing in the system. In addition, additional hotel capacity is being purchased to support the programme.
Keep checking for changes
We’re all in a state of flux, thanks to the beloved leaders being their usual selves, the travel advice remains simple sadly: Keep monitoring your planned travel for changes.
With recent moves by Her Majesty’s Government, we have entered a period of uncertainty whether we like it or not.
Keep your plans in flux, as needed. Your plans might change quickly.
Welcome to Economy Class and Beyond – Your no-nonsense guide to network news, honest reviews, featuring in-depth coverage, unique research, as well as the humour and madness as I only know how to deliver.
Also remember that we are part of the BoardingArea community, bringing you the latest frequent flyer news from around the world.