Air France is finally taking a major step forward with their on-board Wi-Fi offering, with the announcement of “Air France Connect” today
On equipped aircraft, the Air France connect product, passengers will be able to access the system with three different product:
- A free “Message” plan – that allows text messages and images to be sent from Apps (limited to Whatsapp, Facebook Messenger, iMessage and WeChat) as well as access to Air France’s web sit.
- A Surf pass allowing for surfing, messaging and other internet products. Pricing to be set as
- 3 euros for the entire duration of the trip on short-haul flights;
- From 5 euros for the entire duration of the trip on medium-haul flights;
- 8 euros (2,700 Miles), for one hour or 18 euros (6,000 Miles) for the entire duration of the trip on long-haul flights.
- A Stream pass allowing access to the full access to the network to allow you to stream content from your favourite provider (such as NetFlix or YouTube). Expect this at a cool 30 euros (10,000 Miles).
There’s even a cute little video about it.
The Air France Connect product will be extended to offer passengers additional information such as flight information, in flight shopping, films, TV and documentary content – which will be accessible either by a smartphone or a tablet.
Payment for the service will be via Visa, Mastercard, American Express, PayPal or Flying Blue Miles.
The underlying technology is Gogo’s 2Ku – as can be seen in the installation video
Well.. if they say it’s 2Ku (the two antennas also help – Image, Air France via their installation video
The roll-out will be completed by the end of 2020 across the Air France fleet. In the mean time, by the end of this year – Air France will have 22 long haul aircraft and 8 short-haul planes.
According to Gogo, the first Boeing 777-200 and Airbus A330 went live today with the platform running
As usual – look out for the distinctive hump on a plane’s fuselage to indicate the antenna has been installed (and quietly hope the service has been activated).
It’s another step forward for on-plane connectivty in Europe – and for Gogo whose product will be more visible than ever…
Welcome to Economy Class and Beyond – And we’re on the Road to APEX Expo and AIX Americas starting Saturday 22nd August 2018. Join us aboard the Lufthansa Innovation Flight, The APEX Conference, APEX Expo and Aircraft Interiors Expo Americas. Find out more here!
Economy Class and Beyond is your no-nonsense guide to network news, honest reviews, with in-depth coverage, unique research as well as the humour and madness as I only know how to deliver.