We’ve come to the end of one of the most turbulent weeks I’ve covered on Economy Class and Beyond. Let’s take the time to take a step back before embarking on the chaos of next week.
General Airline Contact Advice
With the recent proclamations by the President of the United States of America for their management of Covid-19/Coronavirus/Human Malware, as well as other countries closing borders airlines are flooded with people wishing to change their flights, obtain refunds or so on.
If you’re not travelling within the next 72 hours, please avoid contacting the airlines until things calm down a little (and yes – your writer/editor is in this boat too). Others who are needing to travel before a ban hits may need to get through first and be rebooked.
The Presidential Proclamation
Two proclamations have been made – with European Schengen area first and the UK and Ireland dealt with in a second proclamation
- President Trump suspends travel between Mainland Europe and the United States for 30 days
- USA extends travel ban to United Kingdom and Ireland
If you have bookings over the next few months… I’ll have my views on what do do from Tuesday onwards
Fallout of the Proclamations
Airlines have been racing to reduce capacity – and expect widespread groundings to hit soon. We’ll be keeping an eye on them.
- Airlines race to adjust capacity post US Presidential Proclamation
- American Airlines draws up suspensions and cuts to services
- Delta readies to slice its Trans-Atlantic operation
Before the proclamation
There was life before the proclamation. Remember that? It was still all about cancellations.
- Cathay Pacific suspends all flights to Japan
- Qantas prepares to cut capacity by a quarter, grounds majority of A380 fleet
- American Airlines offers a waiver on changes fees
- American Airlines loads major schedule changes
- Lufthansa Group takes action to cut 23,000 flights
- Recaro delivers its first SPRINT seating seat to Air Lease Corporation – Two month turnaround for seats for lessors makes a compelling re-fit case.
With airlines begging for bailouts, networks to be further sliced and many more groundings ahead… it’s going to be a tough week. I’ll cover what I can here and tweet out what I can otherwise.
And please… WASH YOUR HANDS
Credit – Washyourlyrics.com
Oh yes- Follow WHO Advice too at https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public
Please stay safe.
Welcome to Economy Class and Beyond – Your no-nonsense guide to network news, honest reviews, with in-depth coverage, unique research as well as the humour and madness as I only know how to deliver.