Time to catch up on the week in aviation and headlines (as well as some stuff I’ve missed). It’s Last Week at Economy Class and Beyond.
And I don’t rate our chances of avoiding one.
UK Updates Travel Corridors
- UK FCO updates travel corridors – Hello Portugal! – Hello to Portugal. However, travellers from Austria, Croatia and Trinidad & Tobago will have to self-isolate on entry to the UK. Travellers from Switzerland will also have to self-isolate if they travelling to Scotland
Exit, Queen of the Skies
- British Airways starts to withdraw its Boeing 747-400 fleet – G-CIVD was withdrawn and sent to Spain to spend out its days
New Aircraft News
- Volga-Dnepr Group (AirBridgeCargo) take delivery of a Boeing 777F – and many more on the way. Well, it will keep the 777 production line active whilst Boeing work out what they’re doing next with the 777-X Family.
Routes and Networks
- Wizz Air UK to launch Gatwick base – Wizz Air’s UK operation opens its third base
- Emirates to relaunch Warsaw route – Emirates grows to 25 European routes.
- Ryanair cuts capacity in September and October – Uh oh.
- Swiss launches Airtrain link between Zurich and Geneva – An interesting move by Swiss, as further Air-Rail links are introduced.
- One of the shortest UK Mainline Railway lines gets set for a major upgrade -The Island Line prepares for “new” trains, along with three months of engineering work
- Virgin Atlantic updates its frequent flyer scheme – with some major benifits. Head for Points has you covered.
- Crossrail delayed. Again. But the Purple Trains are now heading to Heathrow.
- EasyJet to close Stansted, Southend and Newcastle Bases
- STA Travel UK collapses
That’s it for this week – I’ll have more for you as we barrel towards the bank holiday weekend.
Until then, please stay safe and wear a mask when out and about.
Welcome to Economy Class and Beyond – Your no-nonsense guide to network news, honest reviews, with in-depth coverage, unique research as well as the humour and madness as I only know how to deliver.