Today, United Kingdom Prime Minister Boris Johnson has announced that England is to enter a lockdown from Thursday 5th November.
From the BBC News feed – https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-54762974
It follows France and Belgium going into lockdown earlier this week, and the local lockdown tier systems not working as intended.
The key highlights
- The lockdown will start on Thursday 5th November
- the lockdown measures will end on Wednesday 2nd December
- Schools, Colleges and universities will remain open
- Non Essential shops will be forced to close, along with the hospitality sector closing – hotels will close
- Pubs and restaurants are to close, unless they can offer as take-away or delivery options
You can leave home for the following reasons:
- for education
- for work, if you cannot work from home
- for exercise and recreation outdoors
- for medical reasons
- to shop for food and essentials
- to care for others
Support bubbles will still be allowed and children will be able to move homes if their parents are separated. Travel is discouraged, except for work purposes
The new rules will be debated in parliament on Wednesday, going into effect the next day – Thursday 5h November (Guy Fawkes Night interestingly).
In other regions
Wales is currently in a firebreak lockdown, which is due to end on 9th November. Scotland is to move to a five-tier system, with advice not to travel to England in place.
It feels like March all over again
Well, it feels like deja vu against England heads into lockdown. And with the pressure on health services, it is going to be a hard winter ahead. Testing, Tracing and Isolating will be key in the solution of this – if the government can get off its backside and do its job.
Don’t hoard toilet paper and pasta this time. And wear a face covering if you have to head out.
Welcome to Economy Class and Beyond – Your no-nonsense guide to network news, honest reviews, with in-depth coverage, unique research as well as the humour and madness as I only know how to deliver.