The Last Push! The Final 700 Tier Points to BA Gold!
Across the Golden Gate Bridge (and back).
- Why do I do this to myself? (The introduction)
- Off to Birmingham Airport, Air France AF1656 to Paris CDG
- Ibis Paris Charles De Gaulle Airport
- A Rushed Check in, AA Lounge
- AA45 Paris CDG to New York JFK
- A Delayed Transit, AA85 New York JFK to San Francisco International
- Hyatt Regency San Francisco Airport
- Intercontinental Mark Hopkins
- One Time Special – Around the Bay and Under the bridge
- Two Time Special – 3 and a half miles. Across the Golden Gate Bridge and back
- Escaping San Francisco to the Crowne Plaza
- Early Morning San Francisco Airport, AA24 San Francisco to New York JFK
- A Dash Across Manhattan and NJ, Newark Airport
- BA Galleries Lounge, EC8004 OpenSkies Newark Airport to Paris Orly West
- Paris. City of Dreams, Romance and Pickpockets?
- Eurostar 9013 Paris Gare du Nord to London St Pancras, Chiltern Railways London Marylebone to Birmingham Snow Hill
- 700TP: Job Done
One of the things I’ve been meaning to do on my trips to San Francisco is to physically cross the Golden Gate Bridge. Why? Because it’s there.
So, bright and early Saturday morning (well not THAT early – Pokemon XY was premièring on Cartoon Network), I packed a light bag, and headed off.
Looking at the public transport maps, it would be convoluted to get there. So, I did the cable car up to Van Ness Avenue, a bus up towards Lombard Street. Of course, I was out of range of internet connectivity and therefore decided to walk and try to find a bus stop on Lombard. Which I did eventually… after a 20 minute walk.
No matter. Eventually a 28 for Daly City came around, which if my maps were right would take me near enough to the Golden Gate visitors centre. And lo and behold, it did.
Here we are!
Well, with the bridge nearby, I steeled myself and begun walking. Now whilst most people make it to the first pier and then turn around, I was hell bent on crossing the entire thing. Because it seemed like a good idea at the time..
Must stop having good ideas. Seriously.
So, I put one step infont of the other and begun walking.
Darn straight. The only way is forward – there is no turning back!
Passing the first span, the amount of people thinned out considerably. Whilst the road traffic was ever rumbling, the people traffic went down a lot.
Even Marine traffic was in full flow.
Eventually, I made it to Vista Point and took a break.. and the views in
I bet they weren’t happy about the next day…
Now, I was planning to get a bus back, but it was only tourist buses back across, requiring $20 or so… and to be blunt, I wasn’t going to pay that just for 1 and 3/4 miles.
I decided to do the only thing I could do – and cross over back over by foot. Trust me, it felt more than 1 3/4 miles on the way back. A lot more…
Getting busier – back to the crowds
…. and done.
Trust me, I caught the 28 back towards the city, and swapped to the 30 for the journey back into the city. Put it like this… I wasn’t in the mood to walk.
Though I did that a bit later as I headed onwards. Although that’s not a story for PrimeTime GhettoIFE. Maybe an after dark story if you want to ask nicely enough …