Book it Danno! Uber Takes on Manhattan
- A Rock, A Hard Place and Tier Points
- To Birmingham Airport, Ryanair FR693 Birmingham to Dublin
- A morning around Dublin
- Dublin Airport, BA4467 Dublin Airport to London City Airport
- Travelodge, London City Airport
- A Morning at London City Airport
- British Airways BA001 London City Airport – Shannon, Shannon to New York-JFK
- Über Takes on Manhattan
- Holiday Inn Express, JFK
- JFK T8, US Airways Flight US510 New York JFK to Phoenix, Arizona
- US Airways Club/Admiral’s Club, US694 Phoenix Sky Harbour to Honolulu
- The Aston Beach Waikiki
- Travel Plus… Doing – Exploring the Diamond Head Trail
- Travel Plus… Doing – Pearl Harbour and The USS Arizona Memorial
- The joy of British Airways Rebooking
- Honolulu Airport, American Airline Lounge, US693 Honolulu International to Phoenix
- US425 Phoenix to New York-JFK, Economy Class
- JFK Omnishambles
- BA002 JFK to London City Airport
- Involuntary Downgrade Chaos
- BA4462 London City Airport to Dublin
- A Five Hour Dublin Layover
- BA0837 Dublin Airport to London Heathrow Airport in Club Europe
- Homeward bound
- Aftermath: Points and Reflections…
After getting off the plane – it was just a matter of following the signs to domestic arrivals.
And the other bonus with this flight – I had no luggage to take with me. That left me with three options on the ground as I needed to get down-town
- Airtrain and LIRR
- AirTrain and the E Train
One and two were out of the wind straight away due to the time it would take to get to Manhattan (that and being an hour down on arrival didn’t help).
Therefore I plumped for the lesser of two evils – UberX to Manhattan. Yes, I had everything set-up on my phone already, app and how to use it- so I was all set to rock and roll the moment I made a decision.
The wait at JFK was minimal, and within a minute of ordering it – I was mobile in my UberX to Manhattan.
40 minutes later, I was at the destination I needed in Mercer Street in Manhattan – $60, all done.
As I needed to head to a particular part of Chinatown first to pick something up for someone, I needed to do that first. With that task down, it was on the R train down to somewhere near 3rd Street.
A short walk from the station where I got off, I was at the Sushi Restaurant where my friends were due to meet me – and in due time, they arrived.
And then there was sushi!
And with dinner done – it was time to catch up at the nearest coffee shop – that happened to be a Starbucks.
Because – that’s what friends do. Catch up, and enjoy time together.
All too soon, the clock worked its way round. With the branch of Starbucks closing, and the night falling – I needed to get back to JFK and they needed to get to NJ.
So again I reached for an Uber (as the thought of the LIRR/E Train and Airtrain didn’t really sell it to me – and I had extra cargo with me), and there was another car in a minute. No surge pricing or anything silly for the ride back to the JFK area, with a little prompting by me to the final part of the journey (pointing out the Holiday Inn Express for them).
Traffic was a fair bit thicker on the way back – arriving back in the JFK area 50 minutes later from pickup.
Overall: I’m slowly warming to Uber, I’ll be honest. Where it represents value and need – I’ll jump it (especially when exhausted). However, I’d prefer public transport where a good option exists. The timings sadly didn’t work for the return back to JFK for me – so I took Uber. $120 is an expensive trip downtown (return), but it allowed me to connect with friends… one of the biggest reasons why I still travel.
If you’re interested in Uber and want to sign up with a £10 ride first ride bonus please consider signing up via https://get.uber.com/invite/ubereclassandbeyond
By using this link you’ll also support this blog (and your writer who will one day need a discounted ride) with a £10 ride as well. Thank you for you consideration!
Welcome to Economy Class and Beyond – Your no-nonsense guide to network news, honest reviews, with in-depth coverage, unique research as well as the humour and madness as I only know how to deliver.
Follow me on Twitter at @EconomyBeyond for the latest updates!