We’re continuing Review 2019 today, with a look at the top 20 posts published over the year.
However, I’m not revealing the hard numbers – I’m instead going to go by category of what you’ve been reading.
- Lufthansa Rolls out Hand Baggage fares on its long-haul network – Well, we all knew this was coming a mile off as airlines seek to charge more money for the privilege of boarding an aircraft with luggage.
- British Airways unveils its new World Traveller Plus amenity kit – It’s always welcome to see airlines improve the soft products, and people taking notice that they are trying to improve. A welcome thing all around.
Whilst 28-29″ seat pitches continue to gain popularity with carriers, others have tried to innovate in the space this year (with some seating manufactures gaining big sales this year).
- China Southern’s first Airbus A350-900 is shown off with a full Recro interior – another major win for Recaro Aircraft Seating, with another carrier choosing to equip its aircraft from nose-to-tail with Recaro branded seats.
- Singapore Airlines first A380 with a re-fitted interior delivered – Whilst the Airbus A380 maybe starting its twilight years as they type is withdrawn from sale, it hasn’t stopped airlines such as Singapore Airlines re-fit them with new interiors.
- Lufthansa’s first A321neo rolls out with Geven Seating – with the Airbus A321neo becoming a more common sight, Lufthansa took delivery of their first A3210neo with the new Geven Seats – with one little trick, the ability to be transferred to another part of the Lufthansa family quickly.
New Aircraft News
Whilst Boeing has been in the news for all the wrong reasons, it seems you were all interested what Airbus was offering this year.
- Air Asia’s First Airbus A330neo takes flight – and took delivery of it later in that year.
- Airbus A220 Gains ETOPS180 – opening some very interesting city pairs – if there’s a star story of the year, it’s the rise of the Airbus A220 (nee Bombardier CSeries) and how its ticking boxes for a lot of airlines now. ETOPS180 gives some very interesting options for it in the future.
- Delta takes delivery of its first A330neo – More A330-900neo news, with Delta Air Lines becoming the first North American carrier to take delivery of the type.
- Bombardier launches the CRJ-550 for United Airlines – It seems this is the Barbie collectors jet if you need to have every single type of CRJ in your fleet. However, it will serve a 50 seater market for a frame designed initially to fit 70+ passengers aboard
Routes and networks
- Norwegian wields the axe for the winter season – The road for profitability is a long one for Norwegian Air Shuttle. Combined with a bit of logic and who knows – they might make it out at the other end of 2020…
- Southwest to withdraw from Newark, NJ – Let’s move to LGA. And blame the 737 MAX too whilst we’re at it.
- Air Asia X deploys an A330 between Singapore and Kuala Lumpur – You want widebody goodness for a 1-hour flight? You’ve got it between Singapore and Kuala Lumpur!
- Goodbye Virgin Trains – Hello First Trenitalia (Now Avanti West Coast) – Yes, Avanti West Coast is now a thing between London and Glasgow via everywhere from London Euston. At least they’re replacing the Voyager trains and are adding new ones to work alongside the Pendolino fleet
Reviews and Snapshots
It seems that my trip to Singapore raised a lot of clicks and views. Have a read of the full trip report. Best read with a cup of coffee and biscuits.
- Snapshot: QR946 Doha to Singapore in QSuites (which has vanished for some reason, but is now back!)
- Snapshot: QR302 Helsinki to Doha in Business Class
If there’s one constant on this blog, you’ve all enjoyed my aviation photography – which I am forever grateful.
- Qatar Airways Airbus A330-300 at Hamad International Airport
- Air Canada Airbus Boeing 777-300ER at London Heathrow Airport
- Qatar Airways Airbus A350-900 at Boston Logan Airport
- Singapore Airlines Boeing 787-10 at Singapore Changi
- Thai Airways Airbus A380 at London Heathrow Airport
- Japan Airlines Boeing 787-9 at Helsinki Vantaa Airport
Up finally in Review 2019… my travel year in review.
Welcome to Economy Class and Beyond – Your no-nonsense guide to network news, honest reviews, with in-depth coverage, unique research as well as the humour and madness as I only know how to deliver.