Delta Air Lines is preparing for a busy Summer 2023, with the airline planning to increase capacity and add new routes to the network.
Delta Airbus A330-300 landing at London Heathrow Airport – Image, Economy Class and Beyond
Capacity will increase across the transatlantic network by 8%, with additional flights including London-Heathrow, Paris, Geneva, Stuttgart and Berlin.
In terms of new growth, the airline is planning to add new routes out of its major hubs:
New York – JFK
- Geneva – commencing 10th April 2023 – a return to the airport when it last served in 1993.
- London-Gatwick – commencing on 10th April 2023
- Berlin – resuming daily service from 25th May 2023
- A third seasonal flight to Rome beginning 25th May 2023, operating daily.
- Dusseldorf – Three-times-weekly commencing 9th May 2023 (restarting the route post-pandemic).
- Edinburgh – Five-times-weekly seasonal service commencing 25th May (a route not operated since 2007).
- Stuttgart – Three-times-week service resuming on 26th March 2023.
- Paris – Commencing 8th May 2023 (restarting the route post-pandemic).
- London-Heathrow – Commencing 25th March 2023 (a route not operated since 2015).
On the route launches, Delta’s Senior Vice President of Network Planning Joe Esposito.
“Next summer, Delta will give customers expanded access to popular destinations across the trans-Atlantic, continuing to solidify its position as the number-one carrier in New York,”
“With nearly 620 weekly flights and connectivity to 32 destinations in Europe and beyond, customers will have a wealth of iconic destinations to explore and an unmatched journey to enjoy across the pond.”
Bullish into Summer 2023 season
It seems Delta is preparing to go into a china shop, raging with such a bullish transatlantic expansion for the summer season, expanding services it served in the past, as well as new destinations – including the capacity-busting solution of going to London Gatwick Airport when Heathrow can be at capped or limited.
For passengers travelling, it will provide more choice over the summer season, as well as open up new direct links to explore and digest, as well as interesting connectivity options for passengers travelling under joint-venture programmes.
And having choices is a passenger’s best friend. Along with competitive prices and redemption seats.
Welcome to Economy Class and Beyond. Your no-nonsense guide to network news, honest reviews, featuring in-depth coverage, unique research, as well as the humour and madness I only know how to deliver.
Also, remember that we are part of the BoardingArea community, bringing you the latest frequent flyer news from around the world.