Book it Danno! A morning and a bit walk around Dublin
- A Rock, A Hard Place and Tier Points
- To Birmingham Airport, Ryanair FR693 Birmingham to Dublin
- A morning around Dublin
- Dublin Airport, BA4467 Dublin Airport to London City Airport
- Travelodge, London City Airport
- London City Airport
- British Airways BA001 London City Airport – Shannon, Shannon to New York-JFK
- Über Takes on Manhattan
- Holiday Inn Express, JFK
- JFK T8, US Airways Flight US510 New York JFK to Phoenix, Arizona
- US Airways Club/Admiral’s Club, US684 Phoenix Sky Harbour to Honolulu
- The Aston Beach Waikiki
- Hiking the Diamond Head Trail
- Pearl Harbour and The USS Arizona Memorial
- The joy of British Airways Rebooking
- US693 Honolulu International to Phoenix
- US425 Phoenix to JFK, Economy Class
- BA Terminal 7
- BA002 JFK to London City Airport
- Involuntary Chaos
- BA4460 London City Airport to Dublin
- A Dublin Layover
- BA0837 Dublin Airport to London Heathrow Airport in Club Europe
- Homeward bound
- Points and Reflections… and a lack of happiness
With 6 hours plus till my next flight, and a morning and a bit to myself, I though the best thing would be to walk around Dublin. Well… why not?
Firstly, I had to negoitate the hike from the 100 pier to the main terminal – and it’s a long hike. The 100 pier is Ryanair’s home (as well as a few other low cost carriers – mainly as is disposes of the niceties of air-bridges and such.
Navigating my way through Immigration and Passport Control, I entered the country.
To enjoy my day in Dublin, I planed on getting the bus and an All Day pass for the Luas and Bus (in the past known as a Rambler Ticket).
Sadly, Dublin Bus has done away with those, and has shifted to contactless ticketing and disposable return tickets. So it was €10 for a ticket on the 747 Bus there and back to the city centre.
The bus itself was modern and more importantly – had free wifi aboard. Always a welcome sight!
The bus now takes a route via the Port Tunnel, and then around the houses near the tourist spots. I got off at O’Connell Street and explored.
Well I had coffee first and did some typing. But then I explored. And I’m going let the pictures do the talking as usual with some intermittent commentary. I’d also be amiss in not admitting that I accidentally wiped the memory card I was working on – so I re-shot what I could.
My loop continues to take me over the Ha’penny Bridge, where it seems the curse of Love Locks have made their way onto the bridge.
And of course – plenty of love locks – wonderful….
I spent a good few hours away from the airport and in comfort, enjoying the sights and sounds of a different city.
One of the things I do keep saying is that travel is an experience – even on a mileage run, it’s good to have as many experiences as possible, and not confine yourself to an airport lounge when time allows you to explore a city. 4 hours is a fair chunk of time to explore… and I made use of it.
Even getting leggings for my stop in New York. But that’s another subject completely.
Next: Back to Dublin Airport, DAA Lounge, BA4467 Dublin Airport to London City Airport
Welcome to Economy Class and Beyond – Your no-nonsense guide to network news, honest reviews, with in-depth coverage, unique research as well as the humour and madness as I only know how to deliver.
Follow me on Twitter at @EconomyBeyond for the latest updates!